Java EE tutorial sources

Guillermo González de Agüero

Hi,

The new Java EE site states the tutorial sources have been archived [1]. Github really simplifies contributions over the old java.net site, and I the tutorial is a very valuable piece of the Java EE ecosystem. It may well benefit from community contributions.

Could its sources please be made available again?

I've cc'ed the EE spec mailing list to get some more visibility.

Regards,

David Delabassee

Hi,

That archived project seems to be an unmaintainted and partial snapshot of an older version of the Java EE Tutorial (Java EE 5 or 6). In addition, it is in a proprietary format (Frame Maker?); I can only read some metadata so I'm not even sure?!. So clearly there's no point to export that specific project at this stage.

Now it would be great to see the community stepping in to help create tutorials. Don't you think that it would just be more pragmatic to create specific, to the point, tutorials on specific aspects of Java EE 8?

--David

reza_rahman <reza_rahman@...>

This is definitely something the community could help do. There have certainly been people in the past that have talked about this. Should we coordinate folks right now or should we wait a bit? Do you have concrete ideas on how to proceed?

From: David Delabassee <david.delabassee@...>
Date: 6/7/17 11:13 AM (GMT-05:00)

Hi,

That archived project seems to be an unmaintainted and partial snapshot of an older version of the Java EE Tutorial (Java EE 5 or 6). In addition, it is in a proprietary format (Frame Maker?); I can only read some metadata so I'm not even sure?!. So clearly there's no point to export that specific project at this stage.

Now it would be great to see the community stepping in to help create tutorials. Don't you think that it would just be more pragmatic to create specific, to the point, tutorials on specific aspects of Java EE 8?

--David

David Delabassee

You're right, we had an issue tracker for the Tutorial.
Let me discuss that and your other suggestions internally first.

--David

Ondrej Mihályi

Hi David and all that would like to contribute to Java EE tutorials.

I'd like to let you know about the ee-central.io project that exists to bring together the Java EE community to gather resources about Java EE. The site is still a work in progress and is maintained by a small group of people, but the project is very open and transparent and we'd welcome anybody to cooperate with us.

The webpage is capable of turning any github repository that contains AsciiDoc or Markdown content into a tutorial page - here is an example of such a page: http://ee-central.io/project/agoncal.petstore.yaml - a tutorial hosted at https://github.com/agoncal/agoncal-application-petstore-ee6 , completely separately from the ee-central.io page and owned by its author. Anyone could create such a tutorial on github and we can easily link it to the webpage and turn it into a tutorial page. The nice thing is that the tutorial hosted as a github repository can be reused anywhere, even for a future Java EE tutorial not only within the ee-central.io site, and the author retains the copyright and ownership.

I encourage anybody to create such tutorials in your own github repositories and let us know about it.

You can find more info about the project and who we are at https://github.com/jcpevangelists/jcpevangelists

--Ondro