Request for Java EE 7 tutorial Codes.

amwangi4@...

Hi,

I hope this email finds you well. I was requesting for the codes examples for Java EE 7 tutorial. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Aaron Mwangi.

David Delabassee

Hi Aaron,

The sources of the different examples can be found in the Java EE SDK bundle; see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/downloads/java-ee-sdk-7-downloads-1956236.html

--David

Ondrej Mihályi

Hi David,

What about the tutorial itself? Can the community somehow help with updating the tutorial to EE 8? Some areas aren't even updated to EE 7 and I know there are many people eager to help update the tutorial.
Would it make sense to create a repository where others could send contributions, which would then be used as a material for the tutorial? Can we edit the tutorial content to improve it and offer it back to Oracle?

--Ondro

David Delabassee

Regarding open sourcing the tutorial itself, there are some technical issues that we first need to solve like the fact that it is currently in a proprietary format. We would need to first convert it to something that it's usable and contributor friendly (e.g. Asciidoc or MD). In addition, the fact that tutorial in itself is huge (nearly 1000 pages!) doesn't really simplify the conversion discussions.

It's not commitment but we are looking at this as we would like to allow the community to enhance the tutorial.

--David

Guillermo González de Agüero

Hi David,

Thanks for looking at it! The fact that it's 1000 pages length is a sign that it contains a *lot* of valuable information ;)

Making it open source would also help contributions from e.g. the MVC JSR community, which Oracle won't likely work on, but may want to somehow support.

It would be also very useful if some JSRs are finally led by the community, while being part of the EE spec (see [1] proposal).

Regards,

El mié., 21 de junio de 2017 18:28, David Delabassee <david.delabassee@...> escribió:
Regarding open sourcing the tutorial itself, there are some technical issues that we first need to solve like the fact that it is currently in a proprietary format. We would need to first convert it to something that it's usable and contributor friendly (e.g. Asciidoc or MD). In addition, the fact that tutorial in itself is huge (nearly 1000 pages!) doesn't really simplify the conversion discussions.

It's not commitment but we are looking at this as we would like to allow the community to enhance the tutorial.

--David

Guillermo González de Agüero

Also, just out or curiosity. What license does the tutorial contents use? If it can be licensed as some kind of Creative Commons, the community could fork the published HTMLs, convert them to AsciiDoc and then give it back again to Oracle, reducing some of your work.

Regards,

El mié., 21 de junio de 2017 19:27, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> escribió:
[...]

Arjan Tijms

Hi David,

If that proprietary format is FrameMaker, maybe Dan Allen could be interested in making a FrameMaker to Asciidoc converter?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms