Re: What's our Acronym?

Will Hopkins

The problem with an email tally is someone has to spend an hour or two compiling the answers and analyzing the results.  ;)

Werner's suggestion of a Doodle poll sounds good to me -- set to allow three choices. Can someone set that up?

Two data points/comments on the choices:
  • I used "SECAPI" as the abbreviation for our spec in the bibliography. I'm not sure it's actually referenced anywhere in the spec, though, and we could change that without affecting the meaning of the spec.
  • "Servlet API" works pretty well for servlet, but servlet is a very narrow technology area. Everybody knows exactly what servlets are, and do, and how the API is structured. It does essentially one thing, and is well understood. By contrast, "Security API" could mean almost anything. There are so many aspects to security -- ranging from codebase permissions, to authentication and authorization, encryption, auditing, and user account management -- and there are many different technologies and APIs that implement all of that. My point is that "security" is a very broad and generic term, relative to "servlet", and therefore "Security API" might not work as well as "Servlet API" as the name of a specific and fairly narrow set of APIs. (But we can definitely still vote on it.)

Will

On 08/04/2017 12:45 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Given that we are only a few people, I think the mailing list would suffice here.

In that case, my votes would be:
1- EE Security
2- Security API
3- JSECAPI

El vie., 4 de agosto de 2017 18:34, Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@...> escribió:
With the terminology voting we just did a simple vote on the java.net mailing list ;)