Re: Final Approval Ballot passes! :)

Guillermo González de Agüero

Hi all,

Thanks everyone involved in this important work.

Arjan, you're a true example of commitment and we all know we wouldn't be here without all the work you've put into this from way before the JSR was even initiated. Your deep compromise with the Java EE world and specially your kind interest in helping and explaining concepts to everyone were some of the forces that motivated me to collaborate on this and be more engaged on Java EE in general.

Will, you were assigned the difficult mission of finishing an extremely important and nearly-done JSR within a short amount of time. As Arjan says the spec has finally seen its scope drastically reduced but I personally think the spec and API are now a much more solid foundation than it was when you started. I really appreciate the many hours you've put into this and I'm sure the community as a whole will enjoy the results very soon with Java EE 8.

I've really enjoyed this journey and I'm grateful for what we have obtained. Even being smaller that originally expected, an historical gap in Java EE has been closed.

Congratulations and thanks again to everybody. I hope to see you all again on Security.NEXT

El mar., 22 de agosto de 2017 14:38, Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@...> escribió:
Hi all,

Today we passed our Final Approval Ballot:

https://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=6044

The result is an unanimous yes, with only Intel not having voted.

Thanks to everybody involved :) Without all of your help this would not have been possible!

As mentioned before, the JSR is *much* smaller than what we initially set out for, but it's an enormous step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Being so small may have its advantages even, as instead of getting an enormous framework dropped into their laps, users can now more gradually discover Java EE security.

The spec document can be found here, extra thanks to Will for taking care of that part so much:

http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/jcp/java_ee_security-1_0-pfd-spec/index.html

For now there's a few tiny bugs left in the implementation (Soteria), but nothing preventing a 1.0 release. Of course, as happens for each and every RI out there, incremental updates (Soteria 1.0.1, 1.1 etc) should be released with some frequency to address whatever is going to be found and raised by the community.