What's our Acronym?


Will Hopkins
 

JSR-375 needs an acronym -- there are times when neither JSR-375 nor "Java EE Security API" are appropriate in context -- block diagrams showing all the Java EE technologies, for example.

I seem to recall people weren't very enthusiastic about JESAPI or JSAPI -- how about SECAPI? Any other ideas?

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


David Blevins
 

How about simply "JSA"?

Java EE
Security
API


-David


On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:
JSR-375 needs an acronym -- there are times when neither JSR-375 nor "Java EE Security API" are appropriate in context -- block diagrams showing all the Java EE technologies, for example.

I seem to recall people weren't very enthusiastic about JESAPI or JSAPI -- how about SECAPI? Any other ideas?

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803



reza_rahman <reza_rahman@...>
 

Sounds good to me.

-------- Original message --------
From: David Blevins <dblevins@...>
Date: 8/3/17 9:45 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: javaee-security-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: Re: [javaee-security-spec] What's our Acronym?

How about simply "JSA"?

Java EE
Security
API


-David


On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:
JSR-375 needs an acronym -- there are times when neither JSR-375 nor "Java EE Security API" are appropriate in context -- block diagrams showing all the Java EE technologies, for example.

I seem to recall people weren't very enthusiastic about JESAPI or JSAPI -- how about SECAPI? Any other ideas?

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803



Guillermo González de Agüero
 

SECAPI sounds good to me. Clearer than JSA.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El vie., 4 de agosto de 2017 2:16, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
JSR-375 needs an acronym -- there are times when neither JSR-375 nor "Java EE Security API" are appropriate in context -- block diagrams showing all the Java EE technologies, for example.

I seem to recall people weren't very enthusiastic about JESAPI or JSAPI -- how about SECAPI? Any other ideas?

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Ivar Grimstad
 

JSA sounds good to me.


On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 7:38 AM Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> wrote:
SECAPI sounds good to me. Clearer than JSA.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El vie., 4 de agosto de 2017 2:16, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
JSR-375 needs an acronym -- there are times when neither JSR-375 nor "Java EE Security API" are appropriate in context -- block diagrams showing all the Java EE technologies, for example.

I seem to recall people weren't very enthusiastic about JESAPI or JSAPI -- how about SECAPI? Any other ideas?

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

--

Java Champion, JCP EC/EG Member, JUG Leader


Werner Keil
 

IMO SECAPI sounds like some position in the US Armed Forces (like SecNAV, many also outside the US might know it from NCIS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_the_Navy)

There seem to be few international acronyms like JSA: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSA
Could not find an English page, but especially with relation to the Java EE Guardians (sounds like a Marvel Superhero team) JSA being another acronym for "Justice League" at DC Comics is probably something we can live with. Especially since the Duke mascot (https://github.com/javaee-security-spec, can't say if it made its way into the new page) even has some similarities with Captain America or Wonderwoman due to his shield ;-)

Werner


David Delabassee
 

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 10:38 pm, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
SECAPI sounds good to me. Clearer than JSA
I agree. Anything with 'JS' sounds very JavaScript'ish to my ears.

--David


Werner Keil
 

Sure JSON-P also has the problem that "JSON with Padding" uses the exact same acronym in this case. 
There isn't even anybody tracking the 100k or more JavaScript APIs that come and go on a regular basis, so not sure if an acronym without even a "J" in it was clearer than one with it...?

Somebody parked http://jsa.io/ but it's probably just a domain grabber hoping for a bargain by a short acronym. No JavaScript project using it ;-)


Werner Keil
 

Has anybody ever argued that
  • JSP
  • JSF

sounded too much like JavaScript?;-)

The only issue compared to those could be that "JS" in the Java and JCP context often stands for "Java Server" but then Java Security API works primarily with Servlets and Web applications, too, so that does not seem a big issue if an acronym started with "JS" in this case.

Werner


Guillermo González de Agüero
 

What about JSECAPI then?


El vie., 4 de agosto de 2017 12:14, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> escribió:
Has anybody ever argued that
  • JSP
  • JSF

sounded too much like JavaScript?;-)

The only issue compared to those could be that "JS" in the Java and JCP context often stands for "Java Server" but then Java Security API works primarily with Servlets and Web applications, too, so that does not seem a big issue if an acronym started with "JS" in this case.

Werner


Werner Keil
 

I guess compared to JASPIC it is not so bad either;-)

The majority of Java EE JSRs JTA, JPA, JMS, JSP or JSF prefer short 3-4 character ones, but e.g. "Servlets" I don't think they really got anything shorter there either.


Rudy De Busscher
 

I prefer SECAPI, as it easily makes the link with the original long name.

On 4 August 2017 at 12:50, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
I guess compared to JASPIC it is not so bad either;-)

The majority of Java EE JSRs JTA, JPA, JMS, JSP or JSF prefer short 3-4 character ones, but e.g. "Servlets" I don't think they really got anything shorter there either.



Werner Keil
 

In that case to be fully correct it would have to be JavaEESECAPI ;-)


Arjan Tijms
 

Why not just "EE Security"?

Few characters shorter than "Spring Security" even, and nobody really feels the need to abbreviate that as far as I know ;)


Werner Keil
 

Whether "Java EE" or simply "EE" I assume, Bill and others have a strict opinion on that, but your point is, that sometimes acronyms get so long and bulky, it's easier to just use the entire term.

"Servlet API" or "Servlets" are never really abbreviated. And we also use "Java Money API" or just "JavaMoney" (including the domain registered for the project) for JSR 354, not "JMoney" (which matches at least one money-related Open Source project) or "JavaMon" (which sounds like "Monitoring" not Money" ;-) 
So either "Java Security", "Java EE Security" or (if allowed) simply "EE Security" all sound good to me.


Rudy De Busscher
 

So I guess we need some kind of voting for the different proposals so that we can decide on the most popular acronym.

like https://www.easypolls.net/ or https://www.poll-maker.com/ (these allow multiple selections and are free)

On 4 August 2017 at 15:17, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Whether "Java EE" or simply "EE" I assume, Bill and others have a strict opinion on that, but your point is, that sometimes acronyms get so long and bulky, it's easier to just use the entire term.

"Servlet API" or "Servlets" are never really abbreviated. And we also use "Java Money API" or just "JavaMoney" (including the domain registered for the project) for JSR 354, not "JMoney" (which matches at least one money-related Open Source project) or "JavaMon" (which sounds like "Monitoring" not Money" ;-) 
So either "Java Security", "Java EE Security" or (if allowed) simply "EE Security" all sound good to me.



Arjan Tijms
 

JASPIC was alternatively called JASPI and JASPIC, talking about confusion :O

EE as abbreviation should be okay. It's either Java EE or EE, but never J2EE anymore or JEE :P

But yeah, let's start a vote ;)


Werner Keil
 

Maybe Will who started the thread can use either Doodle (I know his PMO colleagues use that a lot e.g. to find F2F locations etc.) or something else with alternatives that comply with Oracle's Java branding guidelines or practices...


Werner Keil
 

Actually I think groups.io even has a vote feature, but it does not seem enabled for JavaEE.


Will Hopkins
 

My understanding is that we're not supposed to use any third-party polling service, and I'm not aware that we have an internal one, so it would be great if someone else could set up the poll -- who set up the poll for the first EG meeting we had (at least, the first one after I became spec lead)?

So far, I think the candidates are:
  • JSA
  • JSAPI
  • JESAPI
  • SECAPI
  • JSECAPI
  • Security API (not an acronym, as with Servlet or Servlet API)
  • EE Security (same comment as above)
A poll that allows us to vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices, and tallies the results accordingly, would be really great, but I don't know if such a thing is readily available.

Will

On 08/04/2017 09:57 AM, Werner Keil wrote:
Actually I think groups.io even has a vote feature, but it does not seem enabled for JavaEE.

-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803