Topics

Final Approval Ballot passes! :)

Arjan Tijms

Hi all,

Today we passed our Final Approval Ballot:

https://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=6044

The result is an unanimous yes, with only Intel not having voted.

Thanks to everybody involved :) Without all of your help this would not have been possible!

As mentioned before, the JSR is *much* smaller than what we initially set out for, but it's an enormous step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Being so small may have its advantages even, as instead of getting an enormous framework dropped into their laps, users can now more gradually discover Java EE security.

The spec document can be found here, extra thanks to Will for taking care of that part so much:

http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/jcp/java_ee_security-1_0-pfd-spec/index.html

For now there's a few tiny bugs left in the implementation (Soteria), but nothing preventing a 1.0 release. Of course, as happens for each and every RI out there, incremental updates (Soteria 1.0.1, 1.1 etc) should be released with some frequency to address whatever is going to be found and raised by the community.

Hi all,

Thanks everyone involved in this important work.

Arjan, you're a true example of commitment and we all know we wouldn't be here without all the work you've put into this from way before the JSR was even initiated. Your deep compromise with the Java EE world and specially your kind interest in helping and explaining concepts to everyone were some of the forces that motivated me to collaborate on this and be more engaged on Java EE in general.

Will, you were assigned the difficult mission of finishing an extremely important and nearly-done JSR within a short amount of time. As Arjan says the spec has finally seen its scope drastically reduced but I personally think the spec and API are now a much more solid foundation than it was when you started. I really appreciate the many hours you've put into this and I'm sure the community as a whole will enjoy the results very soon with Java EE 8.

I've really enjoyed this journey and I'm grateful for what we have obtained. Even being smaller that originally expected, an historical gap in Java EE has been closed.

Congratulations and thanks again to everybody. I hope to see you all again on Security.NEXT

El mar., 22 de agosto de 2017 14:38, Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@...> escribió:
[...]

It was a unique experience to be involved in an EG and I learned a lot.

And Thanks to Arjan for the huge amount of work he has put into the spec. Without his work, there would be no vote at all if you ask me :)

I hope we can soon start with the security.NEXT version so that we can define all the initial ideas to make Java EE Security complete.

Best regards
Rudy

On 22 August 2017 at 14:38, Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@...> wrote:
[...]

Wherever that might be, but especially in this JSR the spirit and constructive contribution by community members already showed how it could work even more smoothly in some Open Source ecosystem for Java Enterprise...

Best Regards,
Werner

Elder Moraes

Congratulations!!

[...]

Yes, congratulations indeed!

Thanks to all the experts and contributors, and especially to Arjan, for all your efforts, and for your patience with me coming up to speed mid-stream.

I'd also like to thank Alex for his work getting this JSR off the ground -- putting together the original proposal, forming the expert group, and leading the initial rounds of specification work. We would not have a spec today without him, either!

Will

On 08/22/2017 10:04 AM, Elder Moraes wrote:
Congratulations!!

Elder

Twitter: @elderjava

[...]

Oracle Developer Experience

Thanks again to everyone involved! I did a lot of the work and pushing indeed, but honestly could not have pulled this of without people such as Guillermo, Rudy, Werner and others :) Will had a hard time coming in mid-stream, but I think everything worked out in the end ;)

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:28 am, Will Hopkins wrote:
I'd also like to thank Alex for his work getting this JSR off the ground -- putting together the original proposal, forming the expert group, and leading the initial rounds of specification work. We would not have a spec today without him, either!
It's indeed important not to forget Alex. Indeed, he not only did a lot of work of getting the JSR off the ground, but he also set up much of the base types like the IdentityStore and the CredentialValidationResult that are still present in the final result. Not to be underestimated, Alex also firmly established the scope of the JSR by focussing on the (in his words) "low hanging fruit", which we adhered to all the way up to the final release.