Topics

NOTICE: Moving the security-examples repo to JavaEE tonight


Will Hopkins
 

If anyone's working in the github.com/javaee-security-spec/security-examples repo, please note that I'll be moving it to the Java EE org (github.com/javaee) sometime in the next 12 hours.

All forks, clones, links, etc., should follow the repo when it moves, so there will be a minimum of disruption, but I can't say what will happen if you're in the middle of pushing, fetching, merging, etc. when I hit the "transfer" button.

I recommend creating a new clone/fork after the move, as the javaee-security-spec organization will be going away at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Regards,

Will
-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Developer Experience
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Werner Keil
 

Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner


Will Hopkins
 

No gaurantees on how much of that we'll be able to do, but some, at least, will likely be adapted for the Java EE tutorial.


On August 23, 2017 4:52:06 AM EDT, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner

--
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Guillermo González de Agüero
 

Hi Will,

Will you be able to upload somewhere/share the java.net missing content?

We take take care of adapting it to AsciiDoc.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 14:46, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
No gaurantees on how much of that we'll be able to do, but some, at least, will likely be adapted for the Java EE tutorial.

On August 23, 2017 4:52:06 AM EDT, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner

--
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Michael Remijan
 

That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner



Guillermo González de Agüero
 

Hi Michael,

You can have a look at Soteria (RI) integration tests. They are a very good starting point: https://github.com/javaee/security-soteria/tree/master/test

Please report us any problem you find!


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 15:07, Michael Remijan via Groups.Io <mjremijan=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:
That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner



Guillermo González de Agüero
 

Also keep an eye on the (unofficial) Java EE 8 samples repo: https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee8-samples/tree/master/security

Arjan and other members of the Payara team are these days starting to add content there. At least Payara 5 is tested against those examples so you have a guarantee that they work.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 15:10, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> escribió:
Hi Michael,

You can have a look at Soteria (RI) integration tests. They are a very good starting point: https://github.com/javaee/security-soteria/tree/master/test

Please report us any problem you find!


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 15:07, Michael Remijan via Groups.Io <mjremijan=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:
That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner



Rudy De Busscher
 

Hi Michael,

The "EE Security" option has the most votes for the moment in the poll, so it will probably not be JSA.

@Will,

When do I close the poll and post the results here on the mailing list.

Best regards
Rudy





On 23 August 2017 at 12:48, Michael Remijan via Groups.Io <mjremijan@...> wrote:
That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner




Werner Keil
 

All,

Thanks Rudy for the update on the poll. As long as the term "EE" will not be disallowed in the very near future, I find it OK.
Otherwise if "Java EE" or abbreviations must not  be used by the upcoming "Open Enterprise Foundation for Java" or whatever , could we rather use something that does not have to change with the next Security JSR?;-)

Regards,
Werner


Werner Keil
 

All,

At the moment Rudy's poll has "EE Security" before "JSA" and "JSEC". 
Can we please ensure, that the final acronym remains valid even after Java EE was turned Open Source?
With all the various acronyms like "JPA", "JMS" or "JSF" both the 2nd and 3rd choice feel very safe, but after the Java EE branding discussion we heard (especially all who are also in the EC) calling it "EE Security" will require a distinct confirmation, that "EE" does not fall under any of these Oracle brand names, otherwise please let's use one of those starting with J*.

Thanks,
Werner


Will Hopkins
 

Hi Rudy,

Let's leave it open a little longer -- I haven't voted yet and I've got a few things on my plate ahead of that. Based on the responses so far, I wonder if we should base the result on the votes of EG members/Contributors vs. the community at large, because there seems to be some divergence of opinion, and "EE Security" isn't precisely an acronym.

I'll try to come back to that later in the week.

Will

On 08/23/2017 09:42 AM, Rudy De Busscher wrote:
Hi Michael,

The "EE Security" option has the most votes for the moment in the poll, so it will probably not be JSA.

@Will,

When do I close the poll and post the results here on the mailing list.

Best regards
Rudy





On 23 August 2017 at 12:48, Michael Remijan via Groups.Io <mjremijan@...> wrote:
That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner




-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Developer Experience
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Will Hopkins
 

Good point, Werner.

On 08/23/2017 09:55 AM, Werner Keil wrote:
All,

At the moment Rudy's poll has "EE Security" before "JSA" and "JSEC". 
Can we please ensure, that the final acronym remains valid even after Java EE was turned Open Source?
With all the various acronyms like "JPA", "JMS" or "JSF" both the 2nd and 3rd choice feel very safe, but after the Java EE branding discussion we heard (especially all who are also in the EC) calling it "EE Security" will require a distinct confirmation, that "EE" does not fall under any of these Oracle brand names, otherwise please let's use one of those starting with J*.

Thanks,
Werner

-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Developer Experience
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803


Michael Remijan
 

Thanks!  I will look into these


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:18 AM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> wrote:


Also keep an eye on the (unofficial) Java EE 8 samples repo: https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee8-samples/tree/master/security

Arjan and other members of the Payara team are these days starting to add content there. At least Payara 5 is tested against those examples so you have a guarantee that they work.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 15:10, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> escribió:
Hi Michael,

You can have a look at Soteria (RI) integration tests. They are a very good starting point: https://github.com/javaee/security-soteria/tree/master/test

Please report us any problem you find!


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero


El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 15:07, Michael Remijan via Groups.Io <mjremijan=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:
That would be very helpful. I will be presenting on Java Security and I'm at the point now where I want to start migrating my JASPIC examples to Security API (Is JSA the acronym agreed on?).  I'm hoping this migration will be pretty easy, but of course, just need to start looking at some examples :)


On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:52 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:


Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner





Will Hopkins
 

Yes, I'll be adding it to gh-pages, but I've got a number of tasks on my list ahead of that.

IIRC, though, the existing content is all .pdf, .ppt, .doc, etc. -- nothing I can recall that would need to be converted to asciidoc. There was really very little content there, other than general information of the kind that's already on the new site, and a number of presentations/documents that I think we should just host in their existing format.

Will

On 08/23/2017 08:55 AM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Hi Will,

Will you be able to upload somewhere/share the java.net missing content?

We take take care of adapting it to AsciiDoc.


Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mié., 23 de agosto de 2017 14:46, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
No gaurantees on how much of that we'll be able to do, but some, at least, will likely be adapted for the Java EE tutorial.

On August 23, 2017 4:52:06 AM EDT, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Will,

Thanks for letting us know. After the examples are in the main Java EE organization, I trust they can also be adjusted to match the final state of the JSR ;-)
So those of us who present Java Security at JavaOne or elsewhere can use them.

Regards,
Werner

--
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Developer Experience
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803