Topics

Public Review Draft Comments Guillermo González de Agüero

Guillermo González de Agüero

Hi,

Here are my thoughts about the current draft of the spec. Some of them are very subjective and some are about rewording phrases that I may have misunderstood due to my poor English.
  • Page 4 - Contributor list has not been updated.
  • General: links to external resources should have footnotes with the whole human readable url. Currently, printing the spec will make the links just disappear. For the same reason, links to sections of the spec should list the section they refer.
  • P5 - Terminology: JASPIC Java Authentication SPI for Containers <---- Suggestion: add a note that it is a JCP spec. Not needed, but complimentary.
  • p6 - application servers MUST provide a default mapping from group names to roles. [...] This default mapping MAY be overridden by proprietary configuration <----- I'd clarify that "may be overriden by EXPLICIT propierary configuration". As it currently reads out, GlassFish achieves this requirement by having a (disabled by default) option to do that mapping. Maybe that's the goal though and I'm just misunderstanding this. If that's the case, just ignore this point.
  • p6 - an application’s callers <--- Typo: an application's caller.
  • p8 - An HttpAuthenticationMechanism is a CDI bean <---- Rewording: what do you think about "HttpAuthenticationMechanisms are CDI beans". Just personal taste. Talking about it in singular just reads strange to me, like if it could be only one.
  • p8 - Only the validateRequest() method must be implemented; default behaviors are specified for the other two methods. <--- Rewording: I think "Only the validateRequest() method is required to be implemented" better expresses the idea.
  • p10 - If neither the application nor the container makes an HttpAuthenticationMechanism available, then HttpAuthenticationMechanism is not used.  <--- The container is required to provide implementations of a variety of authentication mechanisms. The fact is that they are disabled by default, but they are always there. That phrase makes me think that "the container MAY NOT always provide an implementation", but what it's trying to say is that they may not be enabled. I'm not saying the sentence is not well written. It's probably me, but I see it a bit confusing.
  • p11 - or each of BASIC and BASIC <-- I think that was already commented somewhere. I guess that was meant to be BASIC and FORM
  • p13 - getRequest(facesContext),getResponse(facesContext) <-- The code example calls to an ommited getRequest method, and also calls an statically imported (but with ommited imports) "withParams" method. Users may think both are statically imported or both ommited. I'd just inject the request and response objects. To gain some lines, I'd put the annotation and the property inline, e.g.:
                @Inject private HttpServletRequest;
                @Inject private HttpServletResponse;
  • p14 - Annotations are shown that use the LoginToContinue class, but that artifact is not shown nor the package is given. Users will be forced to go to the JavaDoc of the annotation to check what that class does.
  • p16 - and information sufficient to allow <-- Rewording: enough information?
  • p16 - perform only perform context- and environment-independent <-- Typo
  • p18 - that handle can handle <-- Typo
  • p20 - Methods of the IdentityStore interface are shown, but the public interface declaration is ommited. I'd add this declaration to be consistent with the rest of the code fragments.
  • p22 - A Java EE container MUST support built-in beans for the followingIdentityStoretypes, to beconfigured and made available via corresponding annotations <-- It may seem obvious, but where are these annotations expected to be used? I know they have to be used on classes discovered by the CDI runtime, but I would explicitly say that "implementations MUST support the use of these annotations on any CDI discovered type".
  • p25 - boolean hasAccessToWebResource(String resource) <-- This is a concern about the API. I'm afraid people may misuse this forgetting that it only tests the GET method. When you configure the security constraints of a servlet or url pattern and you don't set the affected methods, all methods are protected. Users may think that a value of "true" returned from this method means that the user is granted access to every method. I know this is about educating developers, but I'd personally drop this method and keep just the other one, that requires methods to be passed.

Regards,

Hi again,

Some more thoughts (sorry for the inconvenience of sending through multiple emails):
  • It is unspecified what happens when the @DatabaseIdentityStoreDefinition uses an unsupported hash/encoding algorithm (btw, the RI is ignoring those attributes now [1]). I'd personally expect the deployment to fail at least in the case when *only one* identity store is enabled, but its requirements cannot be satisfied.
  • The @DatabaseIdentityStoreDefinition JavaDoc talks about making the supported options an enum. I don't think that's a good idea as new algorithms can always emerge and different platforms may support a wider range than others. I propose to create some String constants for commonly used hash/encoding algorithms (SHA1, SHA256 - BASE64, HEX, etc) and clarify that the platform is not required to support more than the ones bundled with Java SE.

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero.

[1] https://github.com/javaee-security-spec/soteria/blob/c5357aece090abad95c764a7cd8138b79ab26729/impl/src/main/java/org/glassfish/soteria/identitystores/DataBaseIdentityStore.java#L95

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> wrote:
Hi,

Here are my thoughts about the current draft of the spec. Some of them are very subjective and some are about rewording phrases that I may have misunderstood due to my poor English.
  • General: links to external resources should have footnotes with the whole human readable url. Currently, printing the spec will make the links just disappear. For the same reason, links to sections of the spec should list the section they refer.
  • P5 - Terminology: JASPIC Java Authentication SPI for Containers <---- Suggestion: add a note that it is a JCP spec. Not needed, but complimentary.
  • p6 - application servers MUST provide a default mapping from group names to roles. [...] This default mapping MAY be overridden by proprietary configuration <----- I'd clarify that "may be overriden by EXPLICIT propierary configuration". As it currently reads out, GlassFish achieves this requirement by having a (disabled by default) option to do that mapping. Maybe that's the goal though and I'm just misunderstanding this. If that's the case, just ignore this point.
  • p8 - An HttpAuthenticationMechanism is a CDI bean <---- Rewording: what do you think about "HttpAuthenticationMechanisms are CDI beans". Just personal taste. Talking about it in singular just reads strange to me, like if it could be only one.
  • p8 - Only the validateRequest() method must be implemented; default behaviors are specified for the other two methods. <--- Rewording: I think "Only the validateRequest() method is required to be implemented" better expresses the idea.
  • p10 - If neither the application nor the container makes an HttpAuthenticationMechanism available, then HttpAuthenticationMechanism is not used.  <--- The container is required to provide implementations of a variety of authentication mechanisms. The fact is that they are disabled by default, but they are always there. That phrase makes me think that "the container MAY NOT always provide an implementation", but what it's trying to say is that they may not be enabled. I'm not saying the sentence is not well written. It's probably me, but I see it a bit confusing.
  • p11 - or each of BASIC and BASIC <-- I think that was already commented somewhere. I guess that was meant to be BASIC and FORM
  • p13 - getRequest(facesContext),getResponse(facesContext) <-- The code example calls to an ommited getRequest method, and also calls an statically imported (but with ommited imports) "withParams" method. Users may think both are statically imported or both ommited. I'd just inject the request and response objects. To gain some lines, I'd put the annotation and the property inline, e.g.:
  • p14 - Annotations are shown that use the LoginToContinue class, but that artifact is not shown nor the package is given. Users will be forced to go to the JavaDoc of the annotation to check what that class does.
  • p20 - Methods of the IdentityStore interface are shown, but the public interface declaration is ommited. I'd add this declaration to be consistent with the rest of the code fragments.
  • p22 - A Java EE container MUST support built-in beans for the followingIdentityStoretypes, to beconfigured and made available via corresponding annotations <-- It may seem obvious, but where are these annotations expected to be used? I know they have to be used on classes discovered by the CDI runtime, but I would explicitly say that "implementations MUST support the use of these annotations on any CDI discovered type".
  • p25 - boolean hasAccessToWebResource(String resource) <-- This is a concern about the API. I'm afraid people may misuse this forgetting that it only tests the GET method. When you configure the security constraints of a servlet or url pattern and you don't set the affected methods, all methods are protected. Users may think that a value of "true" returned from this method means that the user is granted access to every method. I know this is about educating developers, but I'd personally drop this method and keep just the other one, that requires methods to be passed.

Regards,

Hi,

Just a ping here in case this has passed unnoticed.

Regards,

El sáb., 27 de mayo de 2017 9:46, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> escribió:
Hi again,

Some more thoughts (sorry for the inconvenience of sending through multiple emails):
  • It is unspecified what happens when the @DatabaseIdentityStoreDefinition uses an unsupported hash/encoding algorithm (btw, the RI is ignoring those attributes now [1]). I'd personally expect the deployment to fail at least in the case when *only one* identity store is enabled, but its requirements cannot be satisfied.
  • The @DatabaseIdentityStoreDefinition JavaDoc talks about making the supported options an enum. I don't think that's a good idea as new algorithms can always emerge and different platforms may support a wider range than others. I propose to create some String constants for commonly used hash/encoding algorithms (SHA1, SHA256 - BASE64, HEX, etc) and clarify that the platform is not required to support more than the ones bundled with Java SE.

Regards,

[1] https://github.com/javaee-security-spec/soteria/blob/c5357aece090abad95c764a7cd8138b79ab26729/impl/src/main/java/org/glassfish/soteria/identitystores/DataBaseIdentityStore.java#L95

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> wrote:
Hi,

Regards,

Will Hopkins

Hi Guillermo,

No, it wasn't unnoticed. I'll respond over the next few days.

Will

On 06/16/2017 05:23 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:

Hi,

Just a ping here in case this has passed unnoticed.

Regards,

El sáb., 27 de mayo de 2017 9:46, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> escribió:
Hi again,

Regards,

Hi,

Regards,

-- 
Will Hopkins | WebLogic Security Architect | +1.781.442.0310
Oracle Application Development
35 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

Will Hopkins

On 05/26/2017 01:29 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Hi,

Updated (the full list was not available on the JSR page when the PDR was published).

TODO
Added.
Added the word "explicit"

Plural seems correct to me -- does the application have just one caller?

I do think it reads better the way you suggest, but I've been trying to avoid pluralizing any type names that appear in the spec, since the type names themselves aren't plural and the plural form therefore doesn't refer any actual type. I do it in a few places, but trying to keep it to a minimum.

Not sure I see much difference between "must be implemented" and "is required to be implemented", particularly given the explanatory text about default behavior ...

See your point. I think it should be clear in context that the container is required to provide several implementations, and that this is about what's enabled, but I've attempted to clarify the language.

Yup, already fixed.

This is Arjan's code -- I'd like him to comment before changing it.

Added some explanatory text.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Added declaration for IdentityStore, CredentialValidationResult, and IdentityStoreHandler.

Chose not to add this because it is implicit and if I added it there I'd need to comb through the spec for any other place a similar statement would need to be made.

That's a good point; the other option would be to treat it as if all methods had been specified, rather than just get. That would eliminate the possibility of accidentally granting access to a method other than GET based on a true result from the call, because true would only be returned if access was granted to all methods. But it might be better to make the caller specify.

Unfortunately didn't see this earlier, would like to run it by Arjan.

Will

Regards,

-- 

Will Hopkins

On 05/27/2017 03:46 AM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Hi again,

I think the general case is that any IdentityStore needs to fail early (at deploy time) if it can't initialize itself properly. Will add words to that effect.

That's essentially what I've done, with the addition of support for EL expressions that invoke on a method to validate a hash.

Hi,

Regards,

-- 

Darran Lofthouse

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 06:59 Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:

Not sure I see much difference between "must be implemented" and "is required to be implemented", particularly given the explanatory text about default behavior ...

Generally in EE specs the terms 'Must do' and 'Should do' are widely used to identify the mandatory and optional step - where possible I think we should stick with this terminology rather alternative phrases.

Will Hopkins

On 07/10/2017 05:06 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 06:59 Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:

Generally in EE specs the terms 'Must do' and 'Should do' are widely used to identify the mandatory and optional step - where possible I think we should stick with this terminology rather alternative phrases.
Agree, although in this case the standard terminology doesn't strictly apply, since we're talking about what the implementer of an interface provided by the API must do, rather than what an implementer of the standard must do (which is why the terms are lower case). I'm just not sure I see any real distinction in the plain english meaning.

-- 

El lun., 10 jul. 2017 a las 8:02, Will Hopkins (<will.hopkins@...>) escribió:

On 05/27/2017 03:46 AM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Hi again,

I think the general case is that any IdentityStore needs to fail early (at deploy time) if it can't initialize itself properly. Will add words to that effect.

I forgot I already asked this question, this answers my weekend's email on the same topic. I'll take care of the RI implementation for this change if noone else is working on it.

That's essentially what I've done, with the addition of support for EL expressions that invoke on a method to validate a hash.

Hi,

Regards,

-- 

Will Hopkins

Arjan,

Do you have any comment on Guillermo's points below? In particular, I'm interested in your thoughts on the risk posed by the single-arg hasAccessToWebResource() method, and the suggestion to remove it and always require that methods be specified. That seems like a good idea to me. The other question is a minor point about the example JSF code.

Thanks,

Will

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [javaee-security-spec] Public Review Draft Comments Guillermo González de Agüero
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 01:59:05 -0400
To: javaee-security-spec@javaee.groups.io

Hi,

Updated (the full list was not available on the JSR page when the PDR was published).

TODO
Added.

I do think it reads better the way you suggest, but I've been trying to avoid pluralizing any type names that appear in the spec, since the type names themselves aren't plural and the plural form therefore doesn't refer any actual type. I do it in a few places, but trying to keep it to a minimum.

See your point. I think it should be clear in context that the container is required to provide several implementations, and that this is about what's enabled, but I've attempted to clarify the language.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Added declaration for IdentityStore, CredentialValidationResult, and IdentityStoreHandler.

Chose not to add this because it is implicit and if I added it there I'd need to comb through the spec for any other place a similar statement would need to be made.

That's a good point; the other option would be to treat it as if all methods had been specified, rather than just get. That would eliminate the possibility of accidentally granting access to a method other than GET based on a true result from the call, because true would only be returned if access was granted to all methods. But it might be better to make the caller specify.

Will

Regards,

-- 

-- 

El lun., 10 jul. 2017 a las 7:59, Will Hopkins (<will.hopkins@...>) escribió:

Hi,

TODO

Added.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

I don't think the "test all methods" approach would work, as it's usual for applications to deny access to unused HTTP methods (e.g. PATCH, DELETE, etc).

In such cases, the method would always return false, which would be undesirable.

Will

Regards,

-- 

Will Hopkins

On 07/10/2017 09:58 AM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:

I don't think the "test all methods" approach would work, as it's usual for applications to deny access to unused HTTP methods (e.g. PATCH, DELETE, etc).

In such cases, the method would always return false, which would be undesirable.

Agreed. It's better only in the sense that you wouldn't accidentally grant access that wasn't intended. As a practical matter, it wouldn't be very useful.

If I don't hear from Arjan soon I'll just remove it. If it turns out there's a real need for it we can add it back as a PFD update.
-- 

Arjan Tijms

Hi,

That one method can be deleted if needed, it's just a convenience method really. 

About the example, it's about finding the balance between brevity and clarity. The intend was more to give an impression of the context the feature is being used in, not to be a fully working example with all imports, dependencies etc fully written out (for that the RI and specifically its test folder is more suited I think).

I wouldn't mind it being a bit more complete, but the intend at least was just to give an impression.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:
Arjan,

Do you have any comment on Guillermo's points below? In particular, I'm interested in your thoughts on the risk posed by the single-arg hasAccessToWebResource() method, and the suggestion to remove it and always require that methods be specified. That seems like a good idea to me. The other question is a minor point about the example JSF code.

Thanks,

Will

Subject: Re: [javaee-security-spec] Public Review Draft Comments Guillermo González de Agüero

Hi,

TODO
Added.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Will

Regards,

-- 

-- 

Will Hopkins

Thanks, Arjan. I'll remove the single-arg method.

I think I'll leave the code snippet as is, only because time is short and there are still other changes to make.

On 07/10/2017 10:13 AM, arjan tijms wrote:
Hi,

That one method can be deleted if needed, it's just a convenience method really. 

About the example, it's about finding the balance between brevity and clarity. The intend was more to give an impression of the context the feature is being used in, not to be a fully working example with all imports, dependencies etc fully written out (for that the RI and specifically its test folder is more suited I think).

I wouldn't mind it being a bit more complete, but the intend at least was just to give an impression.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Arjan,

Thanks,

Will

Hi,

TODO
Added.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Will

Regards,

-- 

-- 

-- 

Darran Lofthouse

It probably has already gone by now but +1 to removal - I have seen bug reports in the past where code has performed checks like this and not realised it is only checking GET whilst allowing requests in for all other methods.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 15:15 Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:

I think I'll leave the code snippet as is, only because time is short and there are still other changes to make.

Hi,

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Arjan,

Thanks,

Will

Hi,

TODO
Added.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Will

Regards,

-- 

-- 

-- 

Arjan Tijms

Hi,

It has indeed been removed, thanks for your confirmation that it was indeed better to remove this.

Kind regards,
Arjan

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse@...> wrote:
It probably has already gone by now but +1 to removal - I have seen bug reports in the past where code has performed checks like this and not realised it is only checking GET whilst allowing requests in for all other methods.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 15:15 Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:

Hi,

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Arjan,

Thanks,

Will

Hi,

TODO
Added.

Yup, already fixed.

Left as is.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Will

Regards,

-- 

-- 

--