Topics

WARNING! PLEASE READ! (Was: Fwd: Re: [javaee-security-spec] Moving to Java EE Github?)

Will Hopkins

I thought I sent this out yesterday, but forgot to copy the list -- just as well that I wasn't able to complete the migration last night, although I did get started on the security-spec repo.

Please note the part about issue management -- I think it will be helpful to use issues to track what we're working on, to avoid duplicate effort or working at cross purposes -- for now, lets use soteria repo issues to track who's working on tasks.

Will

On 07/19/2017 12:49 PM, Will Hopkins wrote:
MOVING THE REPOS TODAY!

Unless there are objections, I plan to migrate the security-spec, security-api, and soteria repos to the Java EE github organization today. Since most of you are in Europe, I'll do it during the evening my time, which will be very late at night CET.

Before doing so, I'll disable access for everyone, to avoid interrupting a commit or an issue update. Once everything is successfully migrated, I'll re-enable access on the Java EE side.

ISSUE MANAGEMENT:

On a slightly different topic, I plan to triage the outstanding Issues for both security-spec (@javaee org) and soteria, and use them to manage the remaining work. Please plan to track work you're doing with github issues. I'll send a more detailed email on this topic soon.

[...]

Ok for me, but I'm not a member of the Java EE organization. Yet? (or is that not the intention)

Rudy

On 20 July 2017 at 20:39, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> wrote:
[...]

Basically okay, although my 2 outstanding PRs may be an issue.

Perhaps easiest to accept those both, then migrate, and then later change in that code whatever needs changing still.

On Thursday, July 20, 2017, Rudy De Busscher <rdebusscher@...> wrote:
[...]

Can you merge them onto a branch in the repository? If so, they'll be carried over when the repository moves.

Note that the security-spec repo is already moved; that one I had to clone into the existing repo at github.com/javaee, the other two will go as a direct transfer.

[...]

It's best if you are a member of the Java EE organization, because then I can add you to the security "team" in the javaee org, but I can also grant access to outside "collaborators".

Note that I'm planning to manage access a little differently, by allowing write access for all contributors -- so people can create branches, update issues, etc., for all repos -- but protect the master branch, at least for spec and api -- so that I can do change control when needed.

Note also that I've just been told all contributors going forward must sign the OCA, even folks who are on the EG and therefore presumably have already signed. There's a list of OCA signers at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html, and if you're not on the list I'm not supposed to allow commits. There are few people who are EG members or listed as Contributors on the JCP.org web site who aren't on the list (including some that have already contributed, but that's apparently not a problem). Sigh.

Will

El jue., 20 de julio de 2017 21:55, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
It's best if you are a member of the Java EE organization, because then I can add you to the security "team" in the javaee org, but I can also grant access to outside "collaborators".
I guess that only applies to EG members? Or contributors can also request to join? If so, how could it be done?

On 07/20/2017 03:58 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:

El jue., 20 de julio de 2017 21:55, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:
It's best if you are a member of the Java EE organization, because then I can add you to the security "team" in the javaee org, but I can also grant access to outside "collaborators".
I guess that only applies to EG members? Or contributors can also request to join? If so, how could it be done?
It applies to anyone who wants to contribute, whether EG member or not. It's best if you're an EG member or official Contributor (which you are), but the real requirement to commit is that you've signed the OCA (I think I saw that you were on the list).

Note that any github user can clone the repo and submit a pull request (or create an issue, but not update issues).

See here for legalese about the OCA. I'll have to check how to join the org and get back to you; meanwhile I've invited you as a collaborator for the security-spec repo, and will do the same for the other repos as they migrate.

[...]

Thanks for the invite. I've accepted it but now you've granted be push access to the repository! So I can now modify files directly without sending a PR which is not what you were trying to do I guess :)

I think everybody can make PRs despite not being an organization member. Or are there special restrictions in place here?

PS: Yes, I already signed the OCA. Arjan pointed me on that directiom at that time.

El jue., 20 de julio de 2017 22:09, Will Hopkins <will.hopkins@...> escribió:

[...]

I think you'll find that you can't push to master, but write access is necessary if you want to update issues or create branches.

Hopefully we'll all continue to be prudent w.r.t. using PR's.  ;-)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 12:49 pm, Will Hopkins wrote:
Can you merge them onto a branch in the repository? If so, they'll be carried over when the repository moves.
I merged the Soteria PR into a new branch ("hashalgorithm"), but I don't have write access for https://github.com/javaee-security-spec/security-api and can't create a new branch there.

OK, thanks. I'll merge that one, possibly onto a different branch. It's pretty close to what I'd propose, but I don't want to check anything onto master just yet.