Re: Inconsistent or incomplete usage of @Repeatable

Kevin Sutter

Wow.  I guess @EJB was not the only miss...  I didn't think too hard before asking that...  :-)  In any case, thanks for the pointer to the JIRA.  I missed that reference when I went back in the archives.  We'll have to add that JIRA to our required list of TODOs for Java EE 9.  I agree that this looks to be too much to consider at this point.

Thanks, Kevin

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Linda DeMichiel <linda.demichiel@...> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I agree that consistency here would be desirable.
However, in planning for Java EE 8 we had to prioritize
resources around updating those specs we felt it most
important to focus on, with the expectation that we
would handle any missing @Repeatable updates when the
others were next updated.

@EJB is not the only miss.  You can see the remainders
by scrolling through the JIRA issue here:
https://github.com/javaee/javaee-spec/issues/36.

In particular, since JMS and Connector are not being
updated in this release, those annotations will still
not be repeatable either.

-Linda

On 6/21/17, 12:08 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
Hi,
I know we discussed this back in May of 2016, but actual practice is
causing us to scratch our heads...  Without the @Repeatable annotation
usage being spelled out at the Platform level, we're discovering some
inconsistent or incomplete usage patterns.

For example, JPA has stepped up to use the @Repeatable annotation on
several of their annotations.  And, Common Annotations has identified
the use with @Resource and @DataSourceDefinition.  But, what about
@EJB?  It seems that this would be another valid usage of @Repeatable.
So, with each spec deciding for themselves whether to support
@Repeatable, we don't have a consistent story for our users.  It won't
be intuitive.  Sometimes you can skip the plural form of the annotation,
and sometimes you can't.  You'll just have to "know"...

I haven't thought through every plural Annotation usage, so I'm not sure
if the @EJB is the only miss.  If we're down to just a handful of
misses, should we step up to support these additional @Repeatables in
Java EE 8?

Thanks, Kevin