RMI-IIOP proposed optional

Jens Engel

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the impact of sections EE.2.7.4 and EE.6.2.3.6 of the specification declaring RMI-IIOP as proposed optional.
Does this just mean that JEE implementations > JEE8 might not interoperate with CORBA Orbs? Or does this even imply that such future JEE implementations may not provide the ability for transactional remote invocation of Session Beans between different JVM instances within the JEE product itself?

Will there be any replacements for transactional remote calls in the specification if RMI-IIOP falls optional? (I mean within the same JEE product; not necessarily between products of different vendors or to CORBA Orbs). Or will there at least be the requirement for JEE vendors that there has to be any (could even be vendor-specific) underlying protocol that enables transaction (and security) context propagation in remote calls?

A paragraph in the specification clarifying this would help (or maybe it's there and I haven't found it?).

Regards

-Jens