Re: RMI-IIOP proposed optional

Guillermo González de Agüero

Reading it a bit more thoroughly, "Proposed Optional" just means that a future Java EE version could make it optional. It will still be required to work on Java EE 8, but the EG can make it definitely optional on Java EE 9.

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mié., 2 ago. 2017 a las 19:05, Guillermo González de Agüero (<z06.guillermo@...>) escribió:
Hi Jens,

As I read it, it just means that application servers won't need to provide remote EJBs based on RMI-IIOP starting from Java EE 8. Remote EJBs will still have the same features, although vendors will be able to base them on another technology.

As for Java EE 7, remote EJBs *must * work over RMI-IIOP and implementations are *allowed* to use additional protocols.

Hopefully some EG member will be able to confirm my interpretation.

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mié., 2 ago. 2017 a las 18:43, Jens Engel (<jens.engel@...>) escribió:
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the impact of sections EE.2.7.4 and EE.6.2.3.6 of the specification declaring RMI-IIOP as proposed optional.
Does this just mean that JEE implementations > JEE8 might not interoperate with CORBA Orbs? Or does this even imply that such future JEE implementations may not provide the ability for transactional remote invocation of Session Beans between different JVM instances within the JEE product itself?

Will there be any replacements for transactional remote calls in the specification if RMI-IIOP falls optional? (I mean within the same JEE product; not necessarily between products of different vendors or to CORBA Orbs). Or will there at least be the requirement for JEE vendors that there has to be any (could even be vendor-specific) underlying protocol that enables transaction (and security) context propagation in remote calls?

A paragraph in the specification clarifying this would help (or maybe it's there and I haven't found it?).

Regards

-Jens