Re: module-info or not module-info..

Looking at all the trouble I had with diverse Java 9 pre-releases in the past months, I really think it would be wise to completely ignore Java 9 for now. At the time of releasing JAX-RS 2.1 current Java SE still will be 8. Target platforms for JAX-RS 2.1 are Java SE 8 and Java EE 8. So I do neither see a need nor any real benefit for prematurely supporting Java SE 9. It would imply a risk, even if a small one, so we should abstain from that.

It think it would be wise also, not to include Java SE 9 support in JAX-RS 2.1.1. Instead, we should plan to provide Java 9 support in JAX-RS 3, but right now start to work on that once JAX-RS 2.1 is released.

From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Freitag, 2. Juni 2017 16:38
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] module-info or not module-info..

Dear experts,

we originally intended to include compiled module-info to JAX-RS API jar. Original plan was to prepare a release on final or "almost" final Java SE 9 compliant JDK.

As you might know, Java SE 9 was postponed and the JAX-RS release will most likely happen before that date.

Should we include compiled module-info, even when the compilation was done by early access build of JDK 9? I would believe that there won't be any change in the bytecode format, but it could happen..

From my point of view, it might be better to NOT include compiled module-info now and (if demanded), release JAX-RS 2.1.1 (or something like that) with updated API jar.

Any thoughts/comments?