Re: module-info or not module-info..

I fully agree to the comments already posted. Including a compiled module-info now seems to be too risky. JAX-RS should wait for some recommendation from the umbrella spec before integrating module-info.

Christian

2017-06-03 8:11 GMT+02:00 Ivar Grimstad <ivar.grimstad@...>:

As I recall there were some discussion on the javaee-spec mailinglist (java.net) in May regarding standardzing the module names for the Java EE specs in Java EE 9.
So it may be a bit premature to include it now as it may change then depending on how that goes.

Ivar

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 6:55 PM Andy McCright <andymc@...> wrote:
I agree that we should not ship the module-info in 2.1.

I do think it is important that JAX-RS 2.1 should function in Java 9 out-of-the-box though.  So, I would advise a wait-and-see approach for whether to include a module-info for a 2.1.1 maintenance release.  If JPMS is on by default when Java 9 ships, I would be in favor of including it in the maintenance release.

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
IBM WebSphere Development
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

----- Original message -----
Sent by: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Cc:
Subject: Re: [jaxrs] module-info or not module-info..
Date: Fri, Jun 2, 2017 11:26 AM

Looking at all the trouble I had with diverse Java 9 pre-releases in the past months, I really think it would be wise to completely ignore Java 9 for now. At the time of releasing JAX-RS 2.1 current Java SE still will be 8. Target platforms for JAX-RS 2.1 are Java SE 8 and Java EE 8. So I do neither see a need nor any real benefit for prematurely supporting Java SE 9. It would imply a risk, even if a small one, so we should abstain from that.

It think it would be wise also, not to include Java SE 9 support in JAX-RS 2.1.1. Instead, we should plan to provide Java 9 support in JAX-RS 3, but right now start to work on that once JAX-RS 2.1 is released.

-Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Freitag, 2. Juni 2017 16:38
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] module-info or not module-info..

Dear experts,

we originally intended to include compiled module-info to JAX-RS API jar. Original plan was to prepare a release on final or "almost" final Java SE 9 compliant JDK.

As you might know, Java SE 9 was postponed and the JAX-RS release will most likely happen before that date.

Should we include compiled module-info, even when the compilation was done by early access build of JDK 9? I would believe that there won't be any change in the bytecode format, but it could happen..

From my point of view, it might be better to NOT include compiled module-info now and (if demanded), release JAX-RS 2.1.1 (or something like that) with updated API jar.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
Pavel

--

Java Champion, JCP EC/EG Member, JUG Leader

Join jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.