Re: CDI integration

Pavel Bucek

Hi Guillermo,

The only caveat is that the implementation will need to know the classes by that point, which is before ServletContainerInitializer is fired
that certainly is a problem, we do rely on servlet scanning..

On 02/06/2017 19:11, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
Hi,

I've checked it and adding a new bean with CDI 2.0 is just as simple as creating an extension like this (taken from http://www.next-presso.com/2017/02/nobody-expects-the-cdi-portable-extensions/):

public class JaxRsExtension implements Extension {

    public void addClasses(@Observes BeforeBeanDiscovery bbd) {
        bbd.addAnnotatedType(RestResource.class, RestResource.class.getName()).
                add(RequestScoped.Literal.INSTANCE);

The only caveat is that the implementation will need to know the classes by that point, which is before ServletContainerInitializer is fired (I'm not sure that's a problem; just stating so implementers may comment on it). That prevents the hard dependency on CDI, making everyone happy.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Pavel Bucek <pavel.bucek@...> wrote:

consider this as a subthread :)

On 02/06/2017 16:27, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:

Ad @Stereotype - I'd need to check whether we can easily do that, since it would create a dependency on javax.enterprise.inject. I don't understand the remark about that annotation not being there in the runtime - it will be there, it has retention runtime (otherwise it wouldn't work)

I meant CDI will only be needed at (JAX-RS implementation) compile time. Applications won't need it as annotations not present on the classpath are just erased at runtime. So people using Spring or wathever non-CDI framework won't see any difference. Hope it clearer now?

To be absolutely honest, I'd expect CNFE or something like that. I already wrote a test, which corresponds to what you wrote ;) So thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of this behavior.

There is a little (forward) issue with this - similarly to any other "optional" dependency, there will be issues with this when Java 9 modules are used. Once the dependency on CDI API is declared in JAX-RS API module-info, CDI API will be required on the module path of any JAX-RS enabled app/code (at least for compilation).

Not saying that is a deal breaker, it's just something we need to consider.