Re: module-info or not module-info..

Pavel Bucek

Please see https://github.com/jax-rs/api/commit/f84db6dbb13801411560368deaac7d0d5004db65

Manifest entry "Automatic-Module-Name" was added (based on http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/2017-May/000687.html).

Module name for JAX-RS API is "java.ws.rs". Corresponding module-info is already part of the API sources, but it is ignored when compiling on Java SE 8, which is what we use.

Please let me know if you see any issues. (sooner is better).

I'm waiting for the implementation (since I'd like to test it before the actual commit), but the problem is that I do have some experience with "breaking" changes between jdk 9 builds, so I'm not sure whether the header name is final or not :)

I guess we can ask around about this - as you say, introducing manifest entry is not a problem.

On 03/06/2017 12:39, Gunnar Morling via Groups.Io wrote:
One option to consider is to add the "Automatic-Module-Name" header to the spec JAR's MANIFEST.MF.

This header entry is foreseen by JPMS (some background) to specify a module name, should a non-modularized JAR be used as an automatic module (instead of deriving a module name from the JAR file name). The change for this hasn't landed int the latest JDK 9 preview release yet (b172 at the time of writing), but once it will, we'd make use of this for Bean Validation. I don't think there's any risk of adding this header, esp. it can be done while building with Java 8.