Re: Subresource locator - return instance or class

Sounds reasonable. If other vendors agree to support this feature, we should add it to the spec.

From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Mittwoch, 7. Juni 2017 17:29
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] Subresource locator - return instance or class

Dear experts,

we are in a stage when we are re-reading spec document and javadoc (you're welcomed to help us - if you have some favorite typo anywhere in JAX-RS and you wan't to get rid of it, now is the time to report it) and one particular thing was noticed:

specification supports only returning an instance as a subresource, thus:

@Path("sub1")
public SubResource getSubResourceLocator1() {
    return new SubResource();
}

is supported and

@Path("sub2")
public Class<SubResource> getSubResourceLocator2() {
    return SubResource.class;
}

is not.

RI currently supports both cases and I'm wondering whether we should add that into the specification.

There is obvious advantage of the latter approach, since the instance will be managed (in a correct scope) by the JAX-RS runtime and more importantly, it will be injected, so application developer don't have to inject evertyhing required in a root resource and pass injected values in a constructor of returned instance.

What do you think?