Re: Status of JAXB in JAX-RS 2.1

Pavel Bucek

Hi Markus,

we learned that it is not possible to do that in this release.

The main issue is that we cannot just deprecate something, there is a strict policy related to making backwards incompatible changes - we'd need to create separate specification, which would replace deprecated/removed functionality.

What we could do is to add a note to the JaxbLink javadoc saying "This class will be removed at some point, replaced by FOOBAR"; the problem is that we don't have FOOBAR at the moment..

On 15/06/2017 16:31, Markus KARG wrote:

Dear Spec Leads,

the JSR 370 charter says that with JAX-RS 2.1 the JAXB technology should become conditional.

Looking at the last spec draft I cannot find anything about that. Quite contrary is still is rather clear about the fact what an implementation has to do with JAXBElement etc.

So I'd like to ask what to do with this issue. Will JAXB stay as it is? Or do you have plans to make it obsolete in JAX-RS 2.1 final draft?

Thanks