Re: PATCH support on the client

My opinion is that either we support it completely or not at all. Making it optional renders the feature useless for ISVs: If I cannot rely on it being there on _all_ platforms, I will _never_ use it, or I will _always_ bring it with me on my own. So it would be good for nothing.

From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Montag, 29. Mai 2017 17:23
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] PATCH support on the client

Dear experts,

we'd like to make the HTTP PATCH support on the client optional, throwing UnsupportedOperationException on client runtimes, which don't support that method.

I know that we already had a discussion about this, but we concluded that requiring something without having support from the target JDK might be too cumbersome for some environments.

This wouldn't change anything on the server side, it's purely about the client (reflecting the issues related to HttpUrlConnection and derived implementations).

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.