Re: PATCH support on the client

In fact no ISV is using that optional methods unless they package their app with a particular JRE.

From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sergey Beryozkin
Sent: Montag, 29. Mai 2017 18:29
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaxrs] PATCH support on the client

The issue applies not only to PATCH but to all other methods which happen not be known to HttpUrlConnection.
But rather than say something along the lines "only well-known verbs"
can be supported and be forever restricted by this strange HttpUrlConnection restriction given that all stacks can work with HttpClient, I'd rather have JAX-RS 2.1 be much more open.

Even Collection API in java.util. has a number of optional methods.
Some ISVs might decide not to use this optional method and use their own code - but that won't make their code any more portable as it will be tied to HttpClient or similar....

Sergey
On 29/05/17 17:19, Markus KARG wrote:
My opinion is that either we support it completely or not at all. Making it optional renders the feature useless for ISVs: If I cannot rely on it being there on _all_ platforms, I will _never_ use it, or I will _always_ bring it with me on my own. So it would be good for nothing.