Re: PATCH support on the client

In fact no ISV is using that optional methods unless they package their app with a particular JRE.
-Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sergey Beryozkin
Sent: Montag, 29. Mai 2017 18:29
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaxrs] PATCH support on the client

The issue applies not only to PATCH but to all other methods which happen not be known to HttpUrlConnection.
But rather than say something along the lines "only well-known verbs"
can be supported and be forever restricted by this strange HttpUrlConnection restriction given that all stacks can work with HttpClient, I'd rather have JAX-RS 2.1 be much more open.

Even Collection API in java.util. has a number of optional methods.
Some ISVs might decide not to use this optional method and use their own code - but that won't make their code any more portable as it will be tied to HttpClient or similar....

Sergey
On 29/05/17 17:19, Markus KARG wrote:
My opinion is that either we support it completely or not at all. Making it optional renders the feature useless for ISVs: If I cannot rely on it being there on _all_ platforms, I will _never_ use it, or I will _always_ bring it with me on my own. So it would be good for nothing.
-Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io]
On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Montag, 29. Mai 2017 17:23
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] PATCH support on the client

Dear experts,

we'd like to make the HTTP PATCH support on the client optional, throwing UnsupportedOperationException on client runtimes, which don't support that method.

I know that we already had a discussion about this, but we concluded that requiring something without having support from the target JDK might be too cumbersome for some environments.

This wouldn't change anything on the server side, it's purely about the client (reflecting the issues related to HttpUrlConnection and derived implementations).

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Pavel

Join jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.