Re: CDI integration

Sergey Beryozkin

@Context is that little thing that has helped to make JAX-RS visible outside of the EE world, as opposed to it be yet another EE spec.
Rather than trying to keep JAX-RS more and more dependent on EE pieces I'd like to encourage us keeping it as open as possible

Sergey

On 31/05/17 10:44, Sebastian Daschner wrote:

Yes, agreed.

Especially the ability to @Inject JAX-RS managed objects (basically what is @Context today) would be very helpful. That enables to inject UriInfo within the EE application and also getting rid of @Context to streamline Java EE further :-)

Cheers,
Sebastian

On 05/31/2017 03:12 PM, Christian Kaltepoth wrote:
I agree with Guillermo and Arjan that further CDI alignment is very important for JAX-RS.

It would be great to see some EG discussion about this.

Hi,

I too would greatly love to see this happening. CDI alignment IMHO should have been -the- major theme of Java EE and unfortunately too few steps have been made towards that goal.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@...> wrote:
Hi,

Time is quickly running out, and I guess what the plans are regarding CDI alignment. There's an open issue [1] labeled as "2.1-candidate" but it seems no work has been done on that yet.

Given the time and resource limits the EG has, I propose to simply add a note to the spec saying that "when running on a Java EE Application Server/when CDI is available, resources and providers MUST be available for CDI extensions to process it, just like if had a CDI bean defining annotation", e.g.: providers and resources are discovered by the CDI runtime like any other bean, but *they don't need to be treated as beans*. That basically ressembled the behaviour offered by trimmed archives on CDI 2.0 [2].

What we gain with that? Users could easily create an extension to make all the resources @RequestScoped, while maintaining the spec clean (further integration would need more discussion). At the moment it's not possible to do that with CDI [3] and you have to mark all your classes as @Dependent (a practice that is not so uncommon [4]) or mark CDI bean discovery "all"/"trimmed".

How do you see it? Do you think it's viable at this time?