Topics

Status update

as you might have noticed, we dealt with several small issues in the past couple of weeks. Notable ones:

- @Priority for providers
- JSON-B integration update
- Introduction of JSON-P integration
- HTTP PATCH support on the server (client side was just reverted)
- CompletionStage can be returned from the resource method
- Response API: AutoCloseable + Status#asEnum
- Support for new HTTP Status codes

Etc.

Complete list of closed issues:

https://github.com/jax-rs/api/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+sort%3Aupdated-desc

API commits:

https://github.com/jax-rs/api/commits/master

Spec commits:

https://github.com/jax-rs/spec/commits/master

If you have any questions or suggestions about changes we've made, please let us know.

We are going to release another API milestone build soon and it will be most likely last milestone before submitting Proposed Final Draft.

Dennis Kieselhorst

Hi Pavel,

could you merge my PR before the next milestone release? https://github.com/jax-rs/api/pull/555

Cheers
Dennis

Pavel Bucek

Hi Dennis,

I can't even if I wanted to - you are not on the OCA page (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html), so I cannot accept any code contribution from you.

I'm still not sure whether we want to add these as client builder methods or as a properties and if latter, where the properties should be defined. The issue is on my list, but I cannot promise that it will be part of the next milestone build.

On 03/06/2017 10:22, Dennis Kieselhorst wrote:
Hi Pavel,

could you merge my PR before the next milestone release? https://github.com/jax-rs/api/pull/555

Cheers
Dennis

Gunnar Morling

Hi Pavel,

Any chance for considering the latest proposal for passing the
(highest-quality) request locale to Bean Validation?

Thanks,

--Gunnar

[...]

Hi Gunnar,

I'm sorry to say that, but I don't think that proposal is viable.

What if the app (BV layer) knows Locales L1 and L2 and the user (request) asks for L3;q=0.9, L2;q=0.5, L1;q=0.1. In the latest version of the proposal, L3 will be chosen - what happens when L3 is passed to BV?

Producing an error? Using a default Locale? Neither is a good behavior, L2 should be selected. I haven't seen anything in BV which would return set of supported locales..

Also, the selected locale (whatever it is), should be made available to JAX-RS application, so it can work with that further if needed. We don't have anything like that now. Not to mention that the selection process might need to be pluggable.

Last but not least - we would need to define how is the selected Locale used in whole context of JAX-RS application, which might sound easier as it is.

Best regards,
Pavel

On 05/06/2017 10:06, Gunnar Morling via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hey Pavel,

thanks a lot. It is great to finally see this feature in the spec.

Just one minor typo: "withing" should be "within". See:

please see https://github.com/jax-rs/api/commit/d18207327468870ab885120c3790e36a741af26d

On 04/06/2017 23:15, Pavel Bucek wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I can't even if I wanted to - you are not on the OCA page (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html), so I cannot accept any code contribution from you.

I'm still not sure whether we want to add these as client builder methods or as a properties and if latter, where the properties should be defined. The issue is on my list, but I cannot promise that it will be part of the next milestone build.

On 03/06/2017 10:22, Dennis Kieselhorst wrote:
Hi Pavel,

could you merge my PR before the next milestone release? https://github.com/jax-rs/api/pull/555

Cheers
Dennis

Pavel Bucek

oops. :) will be fixed in the next milestone.

--

Dennis Kieselhorst

Hi Pavel,

thank you for adding this. I filed the OCA yesterday so next time you should be able to accept my contributions.

Regards
Dennis

Gunnar Morling

Hi Pavel,

Hi Gunnar,

I'm sorry to say that, but I don't think that proposal is viable.

What if the app (BV layer) knows Locales L1 and L2 and the user (request)
asks for L3;q=0.9, L2;q=0.5, L1;q=0.1. In the latest version of the
proposal, L3 will be chosen - what happens when L3 is passed to BV?
The fallback mechanism of the JDK ResourceBundle API will kick in
which depends on the relationship between requested locales.

So say L3 = EN_US and L2 = EN, the ResourceBundle API automatically
will take care of that fallback and use EN if no messages for EN_US
are present. If L2 was something unrelated, e.g. FR then it'd fall
back to the default messages in whatever language defined by the user
(and in English as measure of last resort for the built-in
constraints).

Producing an error? Using a default Locale? Neither is a good behavior, L2
should be selected. I haven't seen anything in BV which would return set of
supported locales..
I thought that's where the suggested LocaleResolver SPI comes in. The
user will know in which languages they have provided validation
messages, so they could plug in an alternative LocaleResolver which
could select L2 over L3 in your example.

Also, the selected locale (whatever it is), should be made available to
JAX-RS application, so it can work with that further if needed. We don't
have anything like that now. Not to mention that the selection process might
need to be pluggable.
Isn't that what the LocalResolver SPI exactly is about?