Topics

Proposed Final Draft

Pavel Bucek

Dear experts,

we'd like to announce that Proposed Final Draft was published on JCP JSR 370 page [1].

I'd like to encourage you all to review provided artifacts and let us know if you have any feedback.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

[1] https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=370

jaxrs-2_1-pfd-api.zip\javax.ws.rs-api-2.1-m09-sources.jar contains module-info.java. Is that by intention? I thought you wanted to omit that due that Java 9 not being final?

-Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io [mailto:jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pavel Bucek
Sent: Donnerstag, 22. Juni 2017 13:23
To: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Subject: [jaxrs] Proposed Final Draft

Dear experts,

we'd like to announce that Proposed Final Draft was published on JCP JSR
370 page [1].

I'd like to encourage you all to review provided artifacts and let us know if you have any feedback.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Andy McCright

Hi Pavel,

If it is not too late, I'm wondering if we could clarify the uses of ClientBuilder.executorService(...) and scheduledExecutorService(...).

Are we saying that in a Java EE environment, these methods have no effect?  If so, can we change this text:
When running in a Java EE container, implementations are required to use the container-managed executor service.

to:
When running in a Java EE container, this method will have no effect.  The container will always use the container-managed executor service.

and a similar change for the executorService method?

If instead we are saying that in a Java EE container, the default ES and SES are different than in Java SE, we should clarify it like this:
When running in a Java EE container, the default scheduled executor service will be the container-managed service.  In Java SE, this will be the ForkJoinPool service.

I think we should also clarify what methods will use these services.  The javadoc currently provides some guidance with:
     * @see Invocation.Builder#async()
     * @see Invocation.Builder#rx()
     * @see RxInvokerProvider#getRxInvoker(SyncInvoker, ExecutorService)
and
     * @see SseEventSource.Builder#reconnectingEvery(long, TimeUnit)

but what about Future objects returned from methods like buildGet().submit(...)?

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
IBM WebSphere Development
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

----- Original message -----
Sent by: jaxrs-spec@javaee.groups.io
Cc:
Date: Thu, Jun 22, 2017 6:18 AM

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

I'd like to encourage you all to review provided artifacts and let us
know if you have any feedback.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Pavel Bucek

Hi Andy,

it is very late for changing anything..

We are not saying that on Java EE environment ClientBuilder#executorService and #scheduledExecutorService have no effect - but it might sound that way.

The "default" for Java SE is NOT ForkJoinPool#commonPool, since it is not meant for I/O operations. On Java SE, the default is intentionally left as implementation specific.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "what about Future Objects returned from ..." - if there is any need for starting a thread, it should be done on the executor service provided in the client builder. Note that the javadoc for ClientBuilder#executorService mentions:

* Provided executor service will be used for executing asynchronous tasks.

And Invocation#buildGet() (and others):

* Submit the request for an asynchronous invocation and receive a future
* response back.

Which seem to imply what I wrote..

It might be still possible to tweak the javadoc, I'll wait for your reaction - whether this makes sense or not and then will inquire about possible javadoc adjustment.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

On 07/07/2017 00:35, Andy McCright wrote:
Hi Pavel,

If it is not too late, I'm wondering if we could clarify the uses of ClientBuilder.executorService(...) and scheduledExecutorService(...).

Are we saying that in a Java EE environment, these methods have no effect?  If so, can we change this text:
When running in a Java EE container, implementations are required to use the container-managed executor service.

to:
When running in a Java EE container, this method will have no effect.  The container will always use the container-managed executor service.

If instead we are saying that in a Java EE container, the default ES and SES are different than in Java SE, we should clarify it like this:
When running in a Java EE container, the default scheduled executor service will be the container-managed service.  In Java SE, this will be the ForkJoinPool service.

I think we should also clarify what methods will use these services.  The javadoc currently provides some guidance with:
and

but what about Future objects returned from methods like buildGet().submit(...)?

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Andy McCright

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for the clarification, and my apologies for bringing this up so late - a colleague and I ran into some confusion on this point, so I thought I would bring if forward in hopes that other users might avoid a similar confusion.

I have opened a pull request [1] with my suggested changes to the javadoc.  I think this may help users better understand the differences in the Java SE vs EE environments.

Thanks again - it has been a pleasure working with you in this expert group!

Andy

[1] https://github.com/jax-rs/api/pull/560

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:
Subject: Re: [jaxrs] Proposed Final Draft
Date: Fri, Jul 7, 2017 12:25 AM

Hi Andy,

We are not saying that on Java EE environment ClientBuilder#executorService and #scheduledExecutorService have no effect - but it might sound that way.

The "default" for Java SE is NOT ForkJoinPool#commonPool, since it is not meant for I/O operations. On Java SE, the default is intentionally left as implementation specific.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "what about Future Objects returned from ..." - if there is any need for starting a thread, it should be done on the executor service provided in the client builder. Note that the javadoc for ClientBuilder#executorService mentions:

* response back.

It might be still possible to tweak the javadoc, I'll wait for your reaction - whether this makes sense or not and then will inquire about possible javadoc adjustment.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Pavel Bucek

Hi Andy,

firstly, thanks for your kind words.

Your pull request was merged - good that you brought that up. Thanks!

Best regards,
Pavel

On 07/07/2017 14:38, Andy McCright wrote:
Hi Pavel,

Thank you for the clarification, and my apologies for bringing this up so late - a colleague and I ran into some confusion on this point, so I thought I would bring if forward in hopes that other users might avoid a similar confusion.

I have opened a pull request [1] with my suggested changes to the javadoc.  I think this may help users better understand the differences in the Java SE vs EE environments.

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Sergey Beryozkin

Hi Pavel

These executor services, if set in the client builder - should they be used in the rx() flows ?

Thanks, Sergey 

On 11/07/17 00:12, Pavel Bucek wrote:

Hi Andy,

Best regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Pavel Bucek

Hi Sergey,

yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Pavel

On 11/07/2017 10:35, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
Hi Pavel

These executor services, if set in the client builder - should they be used in the rx() flows ?

Thanks, Sergey 

Hi Andy,

Best regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Sergey Beryozkin

Hi Pavel, thanks,

OK, what about the ScheduledExecutorService - how can the client API implementation know when to use this one
if the ExecutorService is also set ?

Cheers, Sergey

On 11/07/17 10:12, Pavel Bucek wrote:

Hi Sergey,

yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel

Thanks, Sergey 

Hi Andy,

Best regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Pavel Bucek

It should be used only for tasks which need to be scheduled.

Effectively there is only single task like that in the API right now: delayed reconnect of SseEventSource.

Regards,
Pavel

On 11/07/2017 12:52, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
Hi Pavel, thanks,

OK, what about the ScheduledExecutorService - how can the client API implementation know when to use this one

Cheers, Sergey

Hi Sergey,

yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel

Thanks, Sergey 

Hi Andy,

Best regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Dear experts,

370 page [1].

Thanks and regards,
Pavel & Santiago

Sergey Beryozkin

I thought I'd check the docs first before asking, and obviously I missed this one:

https://github.com/jax-rs/api/blob/master/jaxrs-api/src/main/java/javax/ws/rs/client/ClientBuilder.java#L275

:-)

Thanks, Sergey

On 11/07/17 11:59, Pavel Bucek wrote:

It should be used only for tasks which need to be scheduled.

Effectively there is only single task like that in the API right now: delayed reconnect of SseEventSource.

Regards,
Pavel

On 11/07/2017 12:52, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
Hi Pavel, thanks,

Cheers, Sergey

Hi Sergey,

yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel

Thanks, Sergey 

Hi Andy,

Best regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc:

Hi Andy,

* response back.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

to:

and

Thanks,

Andy

J. Andrew McCright
+1 507 253 7448
TL 553-7448
andymc@...

Cc: